The importance of Your Year-end Dental Visit
November 17, 2020
Dr. Katherine Nicholson
As the year winds down to a close, it’s important to ensure that any needed dental visits are scheduled before the end of the calendar year. We know it’s a busy season, but paying attention to your oral health can have far-reaching benefits to your overall health and wellness. (Plus, no one wants to deal with a toothache on Christmas Day!) Here are a few reasons why it’s so important to make sure that final visit to the dentist happens before the end of the year.
Contact Our Office
The Importance of Two Professional Teeth Cleanings
At Carolina General and Cosmetic Dentistry, we recommend two professional cleanings per year for all of our patients. We believe it’s an important part of your overall health, and we encourage these routine dental visits because:
- 6 months is the right amount of time for plaque and tartar, as well as cavities and other problems like the gum disease gingivitis, to form along the surface of your teeth and gums. Visiting our office twice a year provides a deep clean and fluoride treatment performed by a dental hygienist, as well as an overall assessment of your oral health provided by Dr. Nicholson.
- X-rays can detect if any problems like bone decay, tooth decay or swelling is present under the surface of your teeth or gums.
- We screen for any signs of oral cancer by doing a thorough check of your mouth, neck, jaw and lymph nodes.
- We’ll help identify if any of your daily health habits may be causing damage to your teeth. Regular brushing and flossing can go a long way to ensure healthy teeth and gums.
The best way to ensure that you are keeping up with your oral health is to schedule your appointments in advance. With anything, if it’s “on the calendar,” you’re more organized and prepared to take the best care of your teeth and gums!
USE YOUR Dental Health Benefits
Additionally, if you have dental benefits, it’s important to know what your insurance plan covers and make sure to use your benefits up before the end of the year.
Many insurance plans have a “use it or lose it” policy. This is also called an “insurance calendar year maximum,” meaning you have a certain amount of money allotted to your dental care, and any benefits that aren’t used by December 31 won’t roll over to the next calendar year. With this type of insurance, it’s important that you schedule any appointments needed before the end of the year so that you don’t leave “money on the table.” Additionally, with this type of coverage, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Schedule all of your preventative dental visits because typically, they’re covered 100%! You wouldn’t want to leave money on the table, plus you’re investing in your oral health and overall well-being.
- Think about using your coverage early, so talk to Dr. Nicholson about any cleanings, treatments or restorative dental procedures that you may need before the end of the year. Schedule those in advance so that you can set aside time for them.
- Once you have a sense of what your dental needs are, our office can help you determine what is covered under your plan.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT ONLINE
No matter what time of year, we invite you to meet with Dr. Nicholson and discuss the options for your dental needs. Give us a call, and one of our friendly team members will be glad to schedule your end of year appointment, or answer any questions that you may have.