Healthy Fall Treats for your Teeth
October 21, 2020
Dr. Katherine Nicholson
It’s an age-old tradition this time of year: enjoying treats like freshly-dipped caramel apples, a handful of candy corn from the bowl, or a steaming cup of hot apple cider.
We know in moderation these can be enjoyable fall treats, but one unhealthy snack can often lead to another, and with an abundance of sweets around at this time of year… you may find yourself dealing with unwanted tooth pain before you know it.
Contact Us for an Appointment
Healthy Fall Snacks
On the flipside, have you noticed that when you start feeding your body nourishing food, it starts craving it more and more? This fall, why not try giving your body what it needs by starting simple. Snacks could include:
- Warm pumpkin muffins are a wonderful treat this time of year! Mix in applesauce or bananas as a great substitute for oil or eggs. Your kids won’t even miss the difference!
- Chocolate chip zucchini bread is a fan favorite and a great way to get rid of the extra zucchini in your fridge!
- Create a fresh batch of granola with hints of cinnamon and spice. Sprinkle some on top of your yogurt, or grab a healthy handful for a quick snack.
Want to make it a family event? Invite your kids into the kitchen to help you bake! Kids love to be a part of the cooking experience, and when you incorporate healthy ingredients, they begin to think about these foods in a new way.
What about Candy?
We often hear that there’s nothing that rivals seasonal candy, but when you take a closer look – you can have even more fun thinking outside the box without the added sugar! Have fun with it by giving your children choices! Create a platter of oranges, local honey sticks, organic lollipops, gummy packs, cheddar cheese cracker sandwiches, or popcorn snack packs! By limiting sugar, the benefits are many:
- Your children won’t experience the drastic sugar high, then low.
- Their growing bodies get the nutrients they need, or at least significantly less sugar than traditional candy.
- You are setting the tone for healthy snacking in the future.
- Your teeth and gums are healthier too!
Simple alternatives to sugar can make a huge impact on not just your oral health, but your overall health and well-being. No matter what season it is, we invite you to schedule regular visits with Dr. Nicholson of Carolina General and Cosmetic Dentistry so you can ensure your teeth and gums are staying healthy all year long.
Give us a call, and one of our friendly team members will be glad to schedule an appointment, or answer any questions that you may have.